Monday, May 10, 2010

Mom's visit for Shawn's grad & Tania's Bday!

We recently had the pleasure of hosting my mom in Calgary for the first time since we moved here almost 2 years ago. She experienced some truly Calgarian weather - everything from "let's wear shorts" to" it's snowing again"...aaah, that's Calgary I've learned.

Mom was so sweet to come down and celebrate Shawn's graduation recital, Shawn's graduation, and my 26th birthday. She arrived Wednesday at noon, and after picking her up from the airport, we went out for Vietnamese vermacellie. We then took a nap before putting the last touches on the 5 or so pounds of shredded bbq pork that we were going to feed Shawn's band for dinner (3 batches and 21 hours of crockpotting, we were ready to feed the crew of 20).

So Wednesday afternoon we headed out for the grad recital, which was absolutely fantastic. Shawn recruited and organized all the musicians, transcribed music, arranged hymns, lead rehearsals, and so much more. Months of hard work paid off, as we enjoyed a wonderful performance. Over 90 people showed up to the recital - it was very exciting, and I was so glad my mom was able to be there. I'm so proud of Shawn, and can't wait to see him flourish even more in serving God in music.

Thursday morning my mom and I headed out to the mountains - Canmore than Banff. In Banff we road the gondala up Sulphur Mountain. We enjoyed what view there was left - heavy fog and snow was rolling in. We enjoyed some tea and conversation in the restaurant at the top of the mountain. We headed down for lunch where I introduced my mom to Greek food. We shopped around and headed back to Calgary for dinner time.

This mother-daughter tip couldn't be complete without some shopping, which we did for half a day on Friday. We only got through half of the gigantic new mall outside of Calgary.

Saturday was graduation day. We proudly watched Shawn get his diploma. So proud of my hubby for going back to school and working so hard to get degree. We praise and thank God for the resources he has provided to pay for schooling loan-free! After the graduation ceremony, we continued the celebration at Shawn's parents house where his mom prepared a lovely brunch. After brunch we took my mom for a drive to see some scenery and buffalo. The snow was coming in again, but we made the most of it.

Sunday we went to church - we were excited to introduce my mom to our church family who we love so much. After church Our families and a few of our dear friends enjoyed brunch at Mother Tucker's for my birthday. It was awesome to have my mom there with all my friends and Shawn's family.

Thank you mom for coming to visit. We had a wonderful time with you.

No comments: